• Unregistered Land

    By Guest on 06th Sep 2014

    We wish to build a ground floor toilet on land at the back of our house. We ave been unable to establish the owner of the land. Is there any insurance available to cover us in the event the land owner appears? we have already sought legal advice with a local solicitor and he was unable to find the owner for us. We therefore wish to proceed in the hope that the 15 year rule will eventually apply to us.

  • 1 Answers

    By Guest on 06/09/2014

    I don't believe you can get insurance where you have no title to the property at all, though any legal indemnity insurance would have to be arranged by a solicitor or licensed conveyancer (the insurance companies are not permitted to deal with lay persons) so you may wish to ask the local solicitor you mention to see if he can find cover for you.

    Incidentally you mention the "15 year rule". I assume you are referring to the right to claim ownership by adverse possession, in which case the period for which you must have occupied the land is 12 years. You might want to consider whether you have already acquired the right - have previously demonstrated an intention to claim the land, for example by fencing it off so as to exclude others or by cultivating it? If so, for how long?

  • Post Your Answer

  • Do you want to be informed of further comments / replies? Yes No

Ask a Question